On the first glance at the term “Mediterranean Cuisine”, one must think that it is an ethnic cuisine belonging to a specific culture. However, it is the culinary tradition set by a diverse group of people who belong to the region around the Mediterranean Sea. On the other hand, it can’t be said that this specific cuisine is not impacted from culture. The truth is that it has not originated from a single culture but is actually influenced by several ones.
Elements of a Mediterranean Cuisine
Most of the Mediterranean cuisine is dominated by the use of vegetables due to the mild and sunny environment of the region, which makes them prosper. The other element that is quite prominent is olive oil. Olive oil is used for both cooking and dressing purposes. Finally, the use of herbs which thrive in the Mediterranean area, refine and complete the essence of traditional dishes.
A Delicious Greek Omelette Recipe
An omelette is one of the most popular dishes to be served as breakfast in Greece. Important ingredients are onions, feta cheese and peppers which give a distinct taste to this great dish. So here, we have compiled a recipe that is delicious and can be easily prepared at home.
- 2 green Onions – sliced
- 1 green Bell Pepper- chopped
- 4 Eggs
- FYSIS Oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Feta Cheese – ½ cup and crumbled
- 1 Tomato – sliced
- Olives (preferably Kalamata olives) – 7 to 10 chopped or halved
- Freshly grounded Black Pepper and Sea Salt
- Heat a non-stick skillet on low heat and then cook the white parts of the green onions with drops of water, until they get a nice golden colour.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with the green parts of the green onions and the oregano. Heat olive oil in the pan and pour the eggs, stirring gently for 30 seconds. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the feta cheese, sliced tomato and olives in the middle of the omelette. Cook for another 20 to 30 seconds.
- Fold the omelette on a plate and sprinkle the remaining Feta cheese along with black pepper for extra taste.
Sufficient for 2 servings.
It is undoubtedly great to enjoy the local food on a Greek island, but if it is not easy for you to visit one, don’t worry! You can easily create delicious and healthy Mediterranean dishes at home which will make you feel like as you are actually in Greece, Italy or Spain. The Greek omelette recipe, brought to you by FYSIS team, has its own unique taste which makes it stand out among food lovers.