A few weeks ago, talking with Anna, a close friend and a very good cook, the discussion came around her childhood memories. She described an old traditional Greek recipe with its story, which we found very interesting and because we believe that it represents many Greek families we would like to share it with you!
“No matter how many years have passed, every time I cook chicken with potatoes in the oven (roasted chicken with potatoes) following the grandmother’s recipe, the scents that fill my kitchen awaken vivid memories and travel me in the past.
During my childhood years, I remember that almost every Sunday we used to go with my parents to our family home, located in a picturesque village in the mountain of Peloponnese, to visit my grandmother and grandfather. When we arrived, my grandmother who was standing at the door of the house, was smiling and eagerly waiting to give us a warm hug. At the same time my grandfather that had gone to the fields to pick vegetables and herbs for us, in order to be fresh on our return to town, could be seen approaching home on a steady pace.
Entering home, the warmth of the fireplace in combination with the aromas of the chicken with potatoes in the oven (roasted chicken with potatoes), created a rare feeling of warmth and comfort. Grandma had already baked the bread, which she had cut it in slices and placed it next to each dish. On the middle of table you could see the griddle from where a perfect blend of thyme, oregano and rosemary scents emerged.
Even today, such memories make the chicken with potatoes in the oven (roasted chicken with potatoes) my favourite dish. The recipe is simple, easy, everyone enjoys the food and therefore I cook it almost every week.”
- 1 Chicken
- 1 ½ kg Potatoes
- 60 ml Olive Oil
- 150 ml White Wine
- 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Place the chicken in the griddle with the breast downwards.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into small pieces and place them around the chicken.
- Put salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano and thyme.
- Squeeze the lemon and pour it over the chicken and potatoes.
- In approximately one hour of baking, check and stir the potatoes.
- When it is cooked well in the back, turn the chicken on the opposite side, with the chest upwards, where it should stay like this until the end.
Hint: The recipe will take about 1 ½ hours. It is suggested to monitor at regular intervals after the first 45 minutes.